No $1,200 entertainment system option for us! Just a $500 iPad and $10 worth of lumber and glue!
[slickr-flickr search=sets set=72157632321707739 type=galleria]
I have to share space in my garage workshop with other things like boxes, bikes, and strollers. My goal is to have all of my big tools on rolling carts by the end of 2014. Here’s one of the first cabinets I’ve built to that end:
[slickr-flickr search=sets set=72157632098061791 type=galleria]
Cub Scout Mission Log 2012.144: Two low earth orbit rockets, code named Partly Cloudy Patriot and Rainbow Sherbet have cleared the assembly bay and are en route to the launch pad. Launch will be Thursday evening at the Pack 464 Water Rocket Pack Meeting. Any families in the Northgate / Woodlands area of Walnut Creek who are interested in joining scouts are welcome to join us. Rocket making supplies will be provided: 6:30 PM at Valle Verde Elementary.
Update May 24, 2012: Some photos from the event:
[slickr-flickr search=sets set=72157629920667404 type=gallery]
[slickr-flickr search=sets set=72157629504966110 type=galleria]
To celebrate our new raised garden beds (and to get out feet out of the mud). I cast the hand prints of all of our family in 12″ x 12″ stepping stones.
[slickr-flickr search=sets set=72157629190309855 type=galleria]
I’ve been looking to start another Arduino project for some time, but I have been waiting for a ‘real’ problem to tackle before I began…. and then the outdoor keypad for our garage door opener died. Yippeeeee! This is the ‘real’ problem I was looking for. Unless I have my car keys with me to open up the car and to click the opener in my car, I have no way to get into my garage when I’m out for a bike ride or walking my boys to and from school. Two of my boys are still in a stroller, and since this is the rainy season, the time to act is now. This is a problem that I needed to solve. Arduino to the rescue!
I finished a similar project about a year ago, where I used an Arduino with an Ethernet Shield to create a web enabled failover switch for some of the phone circuits in our datacenter. I used a very similar setup here. This time however, I wrote the interface using JSON so that I could build an iPhone app to control the garage door and several of the lights in and around my garage. The iPhone App is still a work in progress, but the system itself is online; only the UI is still rough around the edges.
Now, I have all my front yard lights controlled by a cron job on one of my Linux servers. And I can open my garage using any web browser, mobile phone, or even my Kindle. All costs considered, I probably paid three times what it would have cost to just replace the dead keypad. But that’s not how I roll. I was able to add new functionality, and enjoy a few cold evenings soldering relays in my garage! I <3 Arduino and the Maker movement!
[slickr-flickr search=sets set=72157628984471629 type=galleria]
I am quite proud of my boys, who spent the last few weekends cutting, sanding and painting their Pinewood Derby cars. Sure I helped [a great deal], but they put in a very repectable effort and should be very proud of their own creations!